Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Disneyland…the place where dreams are made of money.

Nuwan took me to Disneyland today and it was amazing. Being my first time I decided that I had to appreciate it as my true five year old self and approached all the cheese with gusto.
I’ve dreamt on going on the mad-hatters tea-cups since I saw it on a full house episode , I think, a million and one years ago. They were even better in real life.
Here are the 10 best things about Disneyland / Disneyland Hong Kong
  1. • Even before you get into the park there is a trolley selling everything you forgot at home. For us it was the appropriate sun protection to deal with the fact that it was atleast 5 degrees hotter there than anywhere else in HK.
  2. • You have to catch the MTR to Sunny Bay station and from there you get a special Mickey Mouse train that has Mickey windows, Mickey hand holds and various Disney characters littered throughout the cabin.
  3. • There are Mickey Mouse waffles that have inbuilt crevices for various condiments
  4. • All the characters except Tinkerbell and Rafiki (the lion kind monkey) are played by locals. So we saw Chinese pirates, lions, zebras, race car drivers and even star fish. This was fine until we walked into the Golden Mickeys and Minnie and Mickey started speaking in fluent Chinese, not to mention Goofy….bizarro
  5. • There is a replica of Tarzan’s tree house that he shares with Jane. Complete with a crying baby in a cradle and the heart-string tugging notes of Phil Collins’ You’ll be in my heart playing throughout the whole tree house. I really think I would like to live in a tree house.
  6. • You can buy anything themed in Disney….pens, paper, pencil cases, magnets, pencils straws and even the stick you get your fairyfloss on….and I nearly forgot Mickey tiramisu, Goofy Mango Mousse, Minnie chocolate tart and well insert Disney character and sugary treat here.
  7. • Even though the temperature is about 35 degrees and the humidity feels higher than 100, people still want to get as close to you are possible, so it feels like everyone is closer to the ride
  8. • The restaurants serve chips, fried chicken, burgers, kung poa chicken, spare ribs and black bean sauce and stir fried rice and noodles
  9. • They have these awesome fans which come with a water receptacle so as it spins and blasts warm air in your direction it can also blast water too!
  10. • They let you go on some rides with a shorter waiting time if you go as a single. This meant that Nuwan waited 5 minutes to go on space mountain where as some poor sods waited the full 50 minutes. The best bit of course was that the single wait-time gave me the perfect reason not to go
We also waited 0 minutes for the jungle river cruise because there was an English version of the ride and a Chinese version of the ride! This is probably central to all worlds Disney but they play Disney songs everywhere….I mean everywhere. You come out of the loo and suddenly it’s all “Chim-chimeny, Chim-chimeny”
I don’t know how the kids got through it but I for one have not been so exhausted since…I don’t think I’ve ever been that exhausted.
I think Nuwan got off pretty lightly on the whole I walked out with a ridiculously bright red Mickey Hat and a belly full of junk food.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chath, I am still laughing with the last para of this post !! Chim-chimeny is now stuch in my head !!

    ReplyDelete